Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Personae

©Hillary Rogers
As a former art history major focused on Roman art and avid Classics student, you could say that I'm a little obsessed with any and all things ancient. I've had the great fortune of having a number of professors that have introduced me not only to the art of antiquity, but also to the larger-than-life personalities of the past. My photo series, entitled Personae, will focus on trying to visually document the characters of the ancient world using my friends and my lens (pardon the rhyme).


Personae will exist as a series of large inkjet prints in an exhibition for my Senior Exhibition art show in May and will also be translated into book format by early March. This means there will be much photographing, editing, and test printing in my future, but it will lead to a quality end product. So far I have two gorgeous images and have made a list of other individuals I'd like to try and capture as well as the models I want to use for each of them.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like it'll be a really neat project, and really a nice expansion upon your interests in art history, particularly ancient Roman art. I'm particularly intrigued to see your portrayals with this project, having also taken the ancient art history classes, being an art history minor myself. Seeing the full-size prints should be especially impressive, even more so with the statuesque look you achieved in the picture displayed above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hillary, I think you have a very strong idea of where you want to go with this project (keeping in mind you have already worked on it before). I appreciate the fact that this time, you want to alter the concept a bit and have your models pose differently, than you did before. It never really hurts to experiment!
    However, I do strongly suggest that you use the red fabric again, to make all the photographs cohesive as they were before. I think the fabric will unify your photographs together, and accentuate the presence of your work, when it is displayed at the Senior exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your photographs, I like how you make the portraits like statues. I think that you made the right decision when you decided to continue with this project. I feel like you have a particular strength with portraits, and you know exactly how to evoke the characters you are trying to portray with the models.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be great to see a couple sample page spread layouts during your next progress report. That way you can get feed back from the group and continue to forge ahead knowing you've investigated numerous possibilities.

    ReplyDelete