Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Imperatum

More time passes and more progress! I've changed the title of my digital photography collection and book from Personae to Imperatum. Imperatum translates to "command" and "order", which are the two main personality traits of the characters I'm capturing for my project. My book has made considerable progress especially in the way of adding new photos that I've been able to take this term. Other than the inclusion of text, I feel that the visual rhythm of the book is almost exactly where I want it to be for printing. I've been including older images with white backgrounds that I believe I'll be removing for the final print. Overall they disrupt the intimate feel that's achieved by using the close-cropping and black background that are present in my newer photos. I'll post a thumbnail of my page layout and some of my new images. I'll be enlarging some prints for my senior show, but am unsure about which to choose for printing and framing. I foresee much color-correction in my future and look forward to making the adjustments that have been suggested to me so far.
Current page layout for my book, Imperatum © Hillary Rogers
©Hillary Rogers Pericles

© Hillary Rogers Julia

© Hillary Rogers Cleopatra

2 comments:

  1. I really like the new idea of having the photographs shot through a close-up view, using a black seamless in the background. However, I would advice you not to entirely get rid of the white seamless ones because they are also very effective. Perhaps you should try re-shooting them (with different models if they are not here anymore), with the same techniques that you used for these photographs.
    I think your layout looks great and I can't wait to see how the book turns out. I also think you should include quotes by the famous figures, but keep them separated and small, so that they don't distract the viewers away from the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be helpful to see the quotes designed and dropped into place for your next update. Editing your images is a critical part of the project, getting everything exactly right will add impact and go beyond the mediocre "good enough" level. You should make some test inkjet prints at the 17x22 size to determine which are worthy of enlarging even more for the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete