Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Don't Get It: Portraiture and Propaganda

Clare Bohrer as a peplos kore.

As my winter term at Lawrence University draws to a close, the final touches are being put on my term project I Don't Get It: Portraiture and Propaganda. This work, which is based on my previous series of photos by the same name, expands the notion of the meaningless nature of decontextualized propaganda. In this 40 page book, I put my favorite 9 portraits on display accompanied by the originals from antiquity. Thus far, I have 8 of the 9 photos taken. Due to one of my models being ill, we had to postpone the shoot multiple times. However, that should be happening within the next two days. Otherwise, I'm completely done formatting book and it's all set to be sent off to Blurb for publishing soon. Also, a quick thank you to Julie and Johnny as well as Ali Scattergood for all their help and guidance with photography.

Just as a teaser, here are a couple of my favorite works from the book. Can't wait to see the final product!

Allison Bjork as an aristocratic Flavian woman.

Collin McCanna as the Apoxymenos.

4 comments:

  1. Girl, thanks for the shout out!
    And I can't wait to see how your project turns out too! The photos look great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not wait to see your portraits. I really like the pictures of Allison and Collin. I must say, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hillary! I must say, that I am super jealous of you right now for being done with formatting! The formatting is what is driving me crazy, but hopefully I should be done by this weekend!!
    Since I sit next to you in class, and have seen most of your portraits, I am going to have to say that they're incredible and I love them! I can't wait to see how they look in a book format :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The muted quality of the color lets the images be contemporary without being gaudy. The facial expressions reference the tenuousness of the current situation when people are protesting in the streets and the Internet lets us be everywhere at once unlike the sculptures carved in stone that you have emulated.

    ReplyDelete