Friday, March 4, 2011

Poetry in Motion

As you know by now, I have sent in my book to have it printed. I'm hoping that paying for expedited shipping has done the trick, but I guess I shall soon find out. Also, to anyone looking to publish, Blurb is a fantastic site to work with. They have step-by-step instructions, templates for every book size, as well as a built-in pre-print file check. A very streamlined operation, so definitely check it out. Also, on the topic of the project, my instructors Julie and Johnny have instructed us to craft, instead of an artist's statement, a haiku that summarizes our project. I am no poet, but here's my attempt:

Peek at glory past.
If only marble mouths could
move, what would they say?

While I was wrapping up this project, I decided to see if what I was doing was original or not. This also gave me the opportunity to draw inspiration from other artists. I ended up finding the photographer Eugenio Recuenco. Biographical information was in short supply, but the professional work done by this Spanish artist is extensive to say the least. He's done high fashion shoots for every major event, magazine, and designer. Don't believe me? Check out the client section of his website.
The obvious difference between Recuenco and myself is that he chooses to depict well-known fairy tales in some of his work. He also chooses a discreet moment of the narrative that is easily identifiable. With recreating statues and portraiture, I didn't really have the need to contextualize the works, as they are already out of context by being in a gallery rather than our mind's eye. Overall, I found Recuenco's work very inspiring, but it didn't lead to any significant artistic breakthroughs for myself. I also found it a little odd that the only work he considered "fine art" was his Untitled. It's interesting that a person with such success would classify their work that way.
In regards to the Kristin Boehm lecture, I was a little underwhelmed. Perhaps it was in the way that she presented, but it didn't sound to me like she had been attempting to network with other artists until well after she had graduated. Having an internship at a summer camp is not something that I would look forward to and not have a post-camp plan. I feel as though Kristin really missed an opportunity to emphasize the importance of networking well before we are faced with the real world.

7 comments:

  1. I think the huge difference between your work and Eugenio Recuenco's work is the sense of reality in them. I mean at least your works are based on the existing sculpture and the story of the sculpture involve with historical content regardless whether they actually happened or not. Eugenio Recuenco, as mentioned, a high style photographer, does most staged photography aiming to look fancy and be full of vanity looking and luxuray. I like both forms of work. And I can also find connections between your works. They are both based on and inspired by some sort of existing content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I might take your advice next time and actually try out blurb, since lulu kind of chopped off my pages more than it was supposed to!!!
    Anyway, I just read your haiku and I love it! I think it completely fits into the project well and symbolizes what your book represents.
    I also enjoyed your presentation on Eugenio Recuenco and the work he has done seems quite similar to yours in concept. However, though the concept may be similar, his style is completely different. As you mentioned in class, while he focuses more on the environment, you focus more on the model itself and how he/she carries out the message through the body and gestures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was interesting, the parallels that could be drawn between Eugenio's work and yours. In some sense you do have a similar aesthetic, using stronger colors against a more washed out or desaturated background. This combination really makes the figures pop, and although Eugenio emphasizes the surrounding area of his models, in a sense you do as well, in displaying the emptiness surrounding the figures. As you mentioned before in class, it does show that the statues are out of context from their original ancient origins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Kristen maybe should have emphasized networking a bit more, but I think she gave good advice about creating an effective online identity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Tom, I thought she was well spoken (better then a lot of other professionals who have come to speak actually). But I definitely agree with you on how she at least in the presentation, did not address how we have so many contacts and resources at our finger tips now, and should really take advantage of that.
    p.s- I like your Haiku. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was this whole 'fine art' thing just a joke? That's what it kind of seemed like to me. Some sort of play on what we think of as fine art. Either way I think its pretty stupid. I mean if he actually does consider just that piece to be fine art, then he needs to get over himself. And if he's just making a joke about what we consider to be fine art, than its just an old, overplayed joke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is that problem when an artist proclaims themselves a "fine artist" it seems like exactly when they are not. It used to be a fairly common distinction; however, in recent decades it sounds a bit corny.

    ReplyDelete